Minor Burns

Burns are classified as first degree, second degree and third degree, depending on the extent of damage to the body tissue. Knowing how severe a burn is will help you determine what kind of care is needed. Rosamond Urgent Care, located in Rosamond, California, can help patients who are looking for minor burn treatment at an urgent care center.

First-Degree Burns

A first-degree burn is the least serious and impacts only the outer layer of skin. A minor burn may happen by accidentally touching the stove or a curling iron. This can cause the skin to turn red and swell and may be painful. First-degree burns are considered a minor burn, unless it involves a significant portion of the face, hands, feet, groin, buttocks or a major joint, which then requires immediate medical attention.

Minor First-Degree Burn Treatment 

Treating a minor first-degree burn could be as simple as running the burned area under cold water. Pain relief for burns and minor burn relief for this type can mostly be found with over-the-counter pain medicine, as minor first-degree burns usually heal over time. 

Second-Degree Burns

A second-degree burn is more serious and happens when the first and second layer of skin has been burned. Common symptoms include blisters on the skin, intense reddening and severe pain and swelling. A second-degree burn may be treated as a minor burn if it’s smaller than three inches in diameter. 

Minor burns can be treated by cooling the burned area and covering it with sterile gauze. A topical cream, such as silver sulfadiazine, may be used to treat minor burns. In addition to providing pain relief, this can also help to stop the growth of bacteria to avoid infection. 

It is always a good idea to seek medical attention for a minor second degree burn to get it checked on and get medical advice, as burn pain from a burn injury can lead to long-term tissue damage and cool water and rest won’t prevent infection like an antibiotic ointment. 

If the burned skin area is larger than three inches or involves a significant portion of the face, hands, feet, groin, buttocks or a major joint, it should be treated as a major burn and requires emergency medical attention.

If you have been severely burned, please call 9-1-1 or go to the emergency room for immediate care for your burn and medical attention. 

Urgent Care for Burns

An urgent care is the best place to accurately diagnose your minor burn and learn about the best way to treat your injury. If the injury is minor, then you may have concrete instructions on how to start feeling better, sooner. If the problem is worse, a trip to an urgent care center can help with the pain and get your injury in front of the right specialist so that your injury does not become a much longer one. 

It’s also crucial to not let the burn area get infected as the skin around a burn can cause blisters and fill with fluid — thus becoming vulnerable to infection. If an infection occurs, it can cause long term skin damage. By getting treatment immediately at an urgent care center, a medical professional can help minor burns not turn into an infection.

Contact Us Now

Rosamond Urgent Care, located in Rosamond, California, provides urgent care burn treatment for patients in Southern Kern County, including Rosamond, Edwards, Mojave, Ridgecrest and California City.Our urgent care center is open seven days a week with convenient daytime and evening hours. Call us today at 661-256-6365 or request a reservation online.